My challenges for Tenovus Cancer Charity!

JustGiving - Sponsor me now!

Friday 31 May 2013

Time is running away with me!!

Well it's the last day of May and I need to do 2 posts before tomorrow to keep up with the challgenges I've set myself!!
May has been extraordinarily busy for me but so enriching and life-enhancing.
Finally got home yesterday after 9 hours of travelling on the previous day from Sardinia to London with one of my classic but awful migraines complete with sickness and diarrohea and terrible head nt made much better by several screaming children on the flight back - am usually very sympathetic but I really wasn't in the mood that day as was very touch and go that I'd get out of the hotel as I'd been feeling so nauseous and worried about the hour coach journey to the airport. But - I made it and the people I was travelling with from the hotel were very kind and helpful.
I had the wonderfully warm welcome from my lovely Chiswick "family" and a comfortable night's sleep before winging my very tired way back to Wales by train yesterday.
After a much-needed sleep in the afternoon my beloved Bass (my black lab for newcomers to my blog!)was delivered back to me and was ecstatic to be back home and has been very clingy and cuddly since. He's more than well-looked after at the wonderful kennels and the owner gives him lots of extra cuddles but it's not quite the same as home and it's lovely to witness his joy of being home and with me!

I really got into reading on holiday and managed to demolish the Lionel Shriver book "So much for all That" in just under 2 days even though it was quite a harrowing and emotional read at times but so incredibly well-written and researched. Many things described about how people cope and react to terminal illness resonated strongly with my own experiences and how people you think you can read well can surprise you both in positive and negative ways. I'm sure we all are guilty of the "bury your head in the sand mentality" with things we find difficult to comprehend or are alien to us but when you're in the situation with only one endgame so to speak it becomes necessary to find a way through in spite of everything.

I'm now well over halfway through reading "The Life of Pi" which isn't on my reading challenge list but is one I've wanted to read for a long time. I never saw the film and I must watch it once I've read the book as I'm finding it absolutely riveting and very moving.

It was a surprisingly nice day today and I took Bass out for a lovely walk in the forest complete with my Kindle and Ipod and am determined to try and make more time for quiet times and reflection after I got so much out of a slower pace on holiday.

I must go and eat now and then am off to see the film "The Great Gatsby" and will write on what I thought of it later on! I bought myself the novel in Italian at the airport so am going to try and get through that as I'd really like to get as fluent as I can with my Italian as my confidence improved whilst on holiday and I really get a buzz out of communicating in a different language and making closer contact with a culture.

Ciao for now!

No comments:

Post a Comment