My challenges for Tenovus Cancer Charity!

JustGiving - Sponsor me now!

Friday 28 June 2013

My best and most loyal friend Bass!

I'm not feeling too great today. No energy,stress of various things and being too busy this week. So still lying in bed after midday I find solace in writing about my wonderful and really special companion,my beloved black labrador Bass who turned 10 on 17th May and I realise with May being so busy for me I forgot to post about the very special celebration we had for this special day.

I never had a dog growing up. We had cats and then only after my sister's nagging my mum and finally wearing her down! I know that my sister was very keen to have a dog and even bought a couple of dog collars - I remember when I was very young - but as mum and dad both worked fulltime and dad wasn't so fond of dogs it wasn't to be. I loved our cat Octavia we had when I was growing up who was affectionate but also independent and aloof as cats can be. I apparently loved our cat Fluffy, who was around when I was born, so much that I was caught trying to stuff her in my mouth when I was a baby!!

When my ex-partner and I were planning a great new life in Wales after 10 years of busy,gruelling London life had taken its toll a dog was high on our list - in fact it was a certainty. My ex had grown up with labradors and we both felt having a dog would really enhance our life and epitomize the more gentle idyllic countrylife we were envisaging for ourselves as we made the move in December 2002.

Sadly I was diagnosed with breast cancer the day I made the move - my ex had already been working in Cardiff for 6 months so life revolved round hospital and illness over the next few months.
However, we were both desperate to still get a puppy and felt that it would be a wonderful distraction from the cancer which was dominating our lives. We did our research and found a lovely family who were experienced breeders but a lovely home set-up in Gloucestershire. The litter of labradors was due in May and would be ready to pick up in early July which would coincide with the end of my chemotherapy treatment. We had requested a boy and really lucky to get Bass as when the litter was born 2 days early on 17th May 2003 there were 5 girls and 3 boys - we were 3rd in line for a boy - but sadly one of the boys died after a few days so we would have missed the boat but another family who had requested a boy dropped out!
When we arrived on a glorious day in July to pick our puppy we had the choice from the 2 boys. I chose Bass as he was the most curious and adventurous and so sweet!!
I remember that first day so well - he screamed like a young monkey nearly all the way back in the car and was promptly sick as soon as we arrived at my ex's mum's home. He then had a wondeful afternoon outside exploring her garden and curious at everything. He didn't understand that the water bowl wasn't for him to walk in an play in and was just so full of fun and playfulness and so small!
I chose his name to be Bass. We wanted a short - easy to shout name - his kennel name was Knocklee Acer and we wondered about Ace and then I came up with Bass (rhymes with Ace!)as a musical name and my ex played the double bass.
The first week we had him and my ex went off to work leaving me with this delightful but mischievous and highly curious puppy I thought we'd made a terrible mistake. There was I,pretty battered(mentally)and exhausted from 6 months of chemotherapy with this little ball of energy who was running me ragged as I was kept on my toes constantly removing anything dangerous or not his out of his sight. I had to physically hold him still on my lap to get him to nap which he needed but was so curious!! My husband would then come home from work and Bass would promptly fall asleep at his feet and he'd wonder what I was going on about!!!

The now 10 year old Bass has just come up and given me a big lick and prompts me to get going and take him on a walk as it's a beautfiul day today. I will come back another time and write more about this wonderful dog who really has saved me from the brink of really awful depression at times and feeling of hopelessness and inability to go on but I'm finding even the reminiscing about the blissful early days emotional.

Bass - you're amazing and more special to me than you'll ever know. I love you more than anything in the world. 

1 comment:

  1. My 13 year old lab died May 1. I loved him. I can't bear to think of his younger days yet. Yesterday was the first time I told someone that he was gone and the tears came unbidden as I was in the grocery store. Hope you and Bass enjoy your walk.
    Glenda

    ReplyDelete