My challenges for Tenovus Cancer Charity!

JustGiving - Sponsor me now!

Thursday 5 September 2013

Summer Singalong!

Where on earth does time go!! I've completely failed on my self-imposed challenge of regular blog writing over the last couple of months but I have been more than filling the time with many other amazing challenges.

I was thrilled that the Summer Singalong party I hosted in aid of Tenovus on 30th June, after having the idea on 2nd June at the Hay Festival after hearing Cerys Matthews launch her Singalong book, was a great success despite a very difficult week in the run-up to it when our online support group lost yet another lovely lady and I was very uncertain of numbers and feared it would be a disaster!
It was a lot of work on my own with the catering etc but as I was charging for entry I didn't want to accept help which was a probably a little naive. The wonderful Community Fundraisers at Tenovus,A&V were extremely supportive and printed out tickets,songwords and posters. I was not feeling at all well in the few days before it and stayed up late cooking the night before and was rushing around right up to guests arriving. I couldn't even get out for last minute things as a neighbour's relative had blocked me in by parking in front of my garage! I had to go up and down 3 lots of 20 odd steps at neighbours before I found out who it was and then there wasn't time to go anyway!!
I needn't have worried however,as 13 people came and it really turned into a most enjoyable and fun event and everybody seemed to really enter into the spirit and even the most nervous about singing all joined in with songs from What Shall we do with the Drunken Sailor to Edelweiss from the Sound of Music.I had some wonderful friends who arrived later and sing regularly and treated us to a lovely duet from Les Miserables and a fantastic solo. Thnaks so much J and D.I also played a little myself. My favourite piece at the moment is a wonderful virtuoso transcription of My Favourite Things Everybody seemed keen to have another similar event and I felt the singing really connected everyone and the food helped too!! I had a raffle too and was amazed that the total raised for the even was £200 which I was delighted with for such a small event and thanks so much to all who contributed as there were also contributions from people unable to attend. Despite feeling lousy right up to the event and all my hard work I really enjoyed the event and feel so blessed to have such wonderful and supportive in my life. It also helped me share my love of music.
I'd really like to do another one at Christmas time. There's something so uplifting about singing in a group! The fabulous work Tenovus have done setting up all the Sing for Life Choirs over the last 3 years has helped and continues to help support all those living with cancer and their supporters and give them something really positive and motivating to connect them with others in a similar position.
It's not too late to donate to my justgiving page in my challenge to raise £1000 by the Miss Heart of Wales Final on November 23rd. My challenges go on and I create more! More updates of my summer and latest news follow later!

No comments:

Post a Comment