My challenges for Tenovus Cancer Charity!

JustGiving - Sponsor me now!

Monday 29 April 2013

Quick Update!

It is with horror that I realise tomorrow is the last day of April and I have 2 more (including this as one)blog posts to do before May arrives and I mustn't break any of my challenge pledges!
Therefore this will be a short post as I am exhausted but happy after 4 days in London on a piano course and my bed beckons plus cuddles with my lovely labrador who is ecstatic to be home from the kennels.

I am pleased to report that I've finished the first of the books I've pledged to read. It was Half of a Yellow Sun by Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie which tells the story of two sisters and their families in Nigeria during the Biafran/Nigerian civil war of 1967-70. It's a wonderfully written and moving and gripping read and I was sad to come to the end of it. You really end up caring for the characters so much and I had no idea about this war and what happened during that time in Nigeria.

I've now started reading Lume Lume, the Italian novel (in Italian)I pledged to read for my language challenge and am really enjoying it and although I haven't looked at my Italian for almost a year I'm finding I can understand it very well and don't need to look up as much as I had expected. It's a gentle whimsical story about a chap living in a very multicultural neighbourhood in Italy and trying to find the words to an old Romanian song called "Lume Lume" which means people and the world and he's searching for it's true meaning and encountering many different cultures on his doorstep and describing his neighbours' different ways of life of mixing their ethnic cultures with the Italian way of life.

Whilst in London I bought an intermediate level Italian book intended to push you to the next level and I'm enjoying revising and trying to improve my language skills. I really enjoy learning languages and trying to get more proficient and Italian is such a musical and lyrical language. It'll only be 24 days until I fly to Sardinia so I'd like to be able to express myself in a more naturally Italian way to try and blend in!!

I had a very enriching time in London on the Advanced piano course with old and new friends.
I will write about it in my next post tomorrow for the last one in April as now I really must get some sleep!

No comments:

Post a Comment