My challenges for Tenovus Cancer Charity!

JustGiving - Sponsor me now!

Tuesday 30 April 2013

Spring at last!

I'm feeling pleased with myself today. Firstly it's been a truly beautiful and warm spring day which has been long overdue and secondly because I'd expected to be exhausted today after my 4 very busy but enriching days in London. Instead I practically bounced out of bed before 9 (very rare indeed!)and went to be beautified or at least tidied up at the hairdressers followed by a relaxing half hour in my favourite local cafe. I then took Bass (my wonderful lab)out in the sunshine and while he ran and pranced around madly I was sitting on the grass mugging up on my Italian and feeling full of the joys of spring - literally! I also managed to fit in around 3 hours of practice,another dog walk,2 wash cycles and an hour and half of teaching which is a lot for me especially after a busy time. I'm also feeling a lot lighter and brighter in myself. Of course I could well wake up tomorrow and the tiredness really hit me as I often seem to get a delayed reaction but I'll just take what comes!

I also feel proud that I managed to not only survive but really enjoy the 3 day piano course even though I forget how exhausting London is!It took me an hour and quarter each way from my wonderful friends' house to the course each day and the course itself ran from 10-5 for 3 days which was a challenge for me. I managed to make sure I played in the mornings as after lunch I tended to aim to sit on the sofa at the back so I could drift off to sleep mainly unnoticed when I needed to!
There were 9 of us of varied but generally diploma level and above on the course. I knew 3 of the other students and the teacher already but the others were all lovely and it turned out that one lady was also from Grimsby originally like me and not only that but used to live literally round the corner from me whilst we were growing up and we went to the same primary school! It's a small world!
We would each take it in turns to play something and then get feedback and helpful hints on improving from the teacher and the other students. It was a very supportive class and we began each day with relaxation exercises in the garden of our teacher's lovely home. We had a lot of laughter and sharing and wonderful music during the 3 days and the course ended with us all playing in a concert attended by friends. I felt very honoured that I had 3 friends there and felt very supported and I enjoyed playing the Stephen Hough arrangement of My Favourite Things from The Sound of Music even if the purists perhaps might not have approved!
The best thing about all my stays in London are that I stay with the most wonderful family whom I've now known for almost 20 years since teaching their eldest daughter in my very first batch of pupils and going on to teach their younger daughter. I feel like family in their home and even their gorgeous dog helps me to miss mine a little less! I'm so blessed with my friends and it really does me so much good to be with people with whom I feel really able to be exactly myself.
I'm going to go to sleep contented now and hope tomorrow brings even more productivity but I'll take whatever comes my way!

No comments:

Post a Comment